Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Expansion, Marketing, and Assistants oh My...

WHAT!!!
I've been examining the market for cooking classes with kids in my area, well really anything close to the market with-in a 50 mile radius.  I'll be honest with you, there isn't ANYTHING like it here.  The closest thing I found (other than the occasional cooking camp in the summer) is at a culinary school.  They offer once a month for little kids to come in (with a parent) and cook something.. well they say "cook" but what is on the menu this month??  Root Beer Floats!!  Are you serious??  Really?? and guess what they are charging?  $75 per KID!   Now I read this and thought, surely there is more to it, but no.. not really.  They are also going to decorate a cookie and "taste" some other foods.  They aren't even going to make the cookie dough!  Oh and they get a toy, like McD's... I don't get it.  They are booked EVERY month for this "service"....with a waiting list.  

I'm offering a much more "hands-on" approach that may be more worth $75 per kiddo, but I can't even imagine charging that much for a Root Beer Float, a pre-made Cookie to frost and a small toy. {{end rant}}

I could use some suggestions for marketing, so comment away!  Right now I plan to send out fliers to the local Johnson County KS pre-schools and daycare centers.  I may run a special to get me off and running through groupon, and will for sure be putting some info out to the local homeschool organizations.

As a fun addition to the cooking, I have always wanted to be a character.. similar to Miss Pattycake.. she is Awesome!  Yes, I said "IS"  I love how animated and colorful she is.  And it has come to my attention that I should probably consider bringing in a "helper" to assist me in keeping order and organizing/set-up/clean-up.. I'm thinking this would be an excellent opportunity for local home-schoolers to get experience working with kids and earn a few $$. 




Don't be scared, I know I'm full on blogging these past couple of days.. it will pass =)

Ok, ok so Kid-stuff is what I was Born to do.. I get more excited everyday as it all comes together, but I'll let you in on a secret.  I don't just like to cook!  Imagine that.. LOL  For those of you that know me, you know this really wasn't a secret at all.  I hope to expand this to include options for crafts and story-telling as well.  I love all of it and hope that this will be something that I can continue to do and maybe even contribute to our ever-growing family!

Bring on the comments, and remember to tell your friends!!

Grab a Kid and Get Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The kiddos and their parents will likely be reading, so Please keep ALL comments Positive and Family-Friendly. Thank-You!