Monday, October 11, 2010

White Bread

Its been a rainy Columbus Day, and the kids are off school.  They've made their forts and played around the house and I got my grocery shopping done.  I must say, the couponing is definitely paying off!  We are practicing living a more frugal life-style and I certainly hope it becomes more natural to us over time.

One of the first things we decided to do is make our own breads and pastries.  I have been pleasantly surprised to find that not only is it not difficult to do, but it tastes sooo much better!  It's cheaper.. and you can bake it all up with your kids.

Today Lena and I are making White Bread since I know everyone will eat it and although my dear husband would prefer whole wheat bread.. the kids just aren't ready for such a shock. LOL  Below is the recipe we are using for the bread and we will be uploading our first Vlog to the site today to show how we did it.  Really quite simple!  Tyler is running the camera, and I'll admit there were times I looked like I was trying to tell him what to do... its because I was. =)  I'm a really perfectionist at times and this "letting go" is a new skill for me.

Ingredients:
2 Tbl. Yeast (quick rise)
2 c. Hot water or milk
5 c. Flour **Bread flour**
2 Tbl. Sugar
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbl. Butter (melted)

Directions:
Mix hot water, butter and sugar (keep the liquid between 85*-100* (much cooler and the yeast won't activate, much hotter and you'll kill the little boogers)
Combine Flour (2 cups to start with), salt, and yeast
Add liquid to dry ingredients and wisk for 2 min.
Leave 8-10 (should be bubbly)
Knead into remaining 3 cups of flour for 8-10 min.
Leave in bowl and cover with damp kitchen towel for 2 hours (at least one if you're in a hurry)
Punch it down and divide in two
Form each into an oval and fold into thirds
Place dough in sprayed pans; folded side down
Sprinkle top with warm water and cut 1/4 inch deep slit end-to-end
Leave to rise 1-2 hours (it should be risen about 2 inches over the top)
Pre-heat oven 400*
Bake 25-30 min.
Remove from pan and place directly on the oven rack
Bake additional 15 min. fo a nice crust
Cool completely, Slice and ENJOY

**I like to glaze the top with butter right out of the oven, I think it gives it a nice look and a nice soft top crust.**

We all love this bread, its great for anything and you can certainly leave it all together as one MEGA-LOAF.  We did this last week and it was awesome for sandwiches!

I hope you enjoy eating your creation.. send us pictures of yours too, we'd love to see them!

Grab a kid and get Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The kiddos and their parents will likely be reading, so Please keep ALL comments Positive and Family-Friendly. Thank-You!